General

1. Support for a spherocylindrical particle (capsule shape)

Context: Lagrangian simulations of capsules. (DPM)

Lets say we have data for the orientation vector, position vector, length of shaft and the radius of a spherocylinder for each timestep. Then it should be possible to visualize this particle behaviour with time in Paraview.

DPM modelling for non-spherical particles is the next upcoming field and currently no visualization package supports non-spherical particles. If this feature is released for Paraview, I am sure the user base will grow manifold.

Thanks and regards,
    Vinay

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Enable wrapped colorspace interpolation of scalars before mapping of surface

It would be great to be able to interpolate the scalars on a wrapped colorspace before mapping them. This would be very useful to obtain nice representations of cyclical phenomenae.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Automatic range label format for the legend

The legend offers an "automatic label format", but not an "automatic range label format", leading to weird situations like scientific notation for the range extremes, and integer notation for the labels, when displaying e.g. an int or a bool data type.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add interpolator type (cell locator) to stream tracer with custom source

Stream lines often break with point locator (default) of stream tracer with unstructured vtu data. One solution is to choose cell locator instead of point locator. But "stream tracer with custom source", which includes all flexibility to choose source points, does not have these options to choose.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Support moab mesh format natively.

The moab group already has a plugin, but you need to build paraview on your own to use it.

https://trac.mcs.anl.gov/projects/ITAPS/wiki/MOAB/h5m

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Show more information about each block in Multi-Block Inspector

I would like to visualize specific parts of large, multi-block datasets using the Multi-Block Inspector. Currently I rely on a Python script to extract each block. This Python script gets slower as the number of blocks in the dataset grows. The Multi-block Inspector would solve this problem if I could match my name for the blocks to the block indices conveniently.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. proper orthogonal decomposition analysis filter

I think it is very easy for the developers to implement a proper orthogonal decomposition for unsteady flow with equal spaced timesteps using Snapshot POD algorithm described in chapter 3.2 of http://web.mit.edu/kwillcox/Public/Web/BTTanMS.pdf

The algorithm is:
    0. get timestepvalues of interest as t_i, i=1..N
    1. load field P of two timesteps such as as P_i=P(t_i),P_j=P(t_j)
    2. calculate the correlation R_ij = inner_product(P_i,P_j)/N, the definition of inner product could be integration of P_i*P_j over the volume.
    3. get the eigen value lambda_i and corresponding vector eV_ii of matrix {R_ij}
    4. construct the i-th POD basis psi_i = sum(dot(eV_ij,P_j),j=1..N), usually, only the first…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Right now quantities are associated to nodes or elements, but in electromagnetics some quantities are naturally associated to faces (fluxes)

Right now quantities are associated to nodes or elements, but in electromagnetics some quantities are naturally associated to faces (fluxes) or edges (magnetomotive forces) and special finite elements (nedelec / raviart-thomas) can be used to interpolate such quantities. Is support for such entities planned? If not how difficult would it be to implement it?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Button to fetch plugins

ParaView has a button to fetch server configuration. It would be nice to have a fetch plugins, using the same url source. This way all the resources for paraview can be stored in the same place.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. It will be better if there is a function of drawing streamlines to two-dimentional flow field in the software.

It will be better if there is a function of drawing streamlines to two-dimentional flow field in the software. Then we can observe the behaviour of the fluid flow in pore space directly.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Show the Multi-block list or the Block Indices list by alphabetical order

Multi-block inspector shows the blocks by index and not by alphabetical order.
    Block indices list (when you execute Extract block filter) shows the same list.
    It is easier to select blocks in a alphabetical list (or to have the possibility to change order of this list).

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Ability to change data file without having to disconnect and reload state

When you load a state, you have the option to change the data file used. It would be nice if when you have loaded a state, you could right click the data file in the pipeline browser to select another data file (or alternatively, change the file name property in the pipeline, or drag and drop a file into its place).

This would save time when you have many data files in the same format to visually inspect, for example many runs of the same experiment under various different conditions.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. SpacePilot (3DConnexion) support without manual build

Today, SpacePilot is supported only if you build ParaView manually. My guess is that this excludes most users. It would be great if SpacePilot could be supported by default - or if that has drawbacks, then maybe as a plugin?

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Add navigation options to Pipeline Browser

When Pipeline is very large, it would be useful to filter the display in Pipeline Browser.
    For example :
    - ability to display only active filters of the selected RenderView/Layout
    - search bar

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add the ability to create countour lines on velocity magnitude

In now time paraview support only creating contour lines on pressure p.
    If I want to create the countour line on velocity, which is not allowed by countour, I need to use 'Calculator' field with command "mag(V)", then I've got my Result, and only then I can use this Result in the countour filter to make the lines on my velocity magnitude

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Moving source objects by mouse

I suggest you to implement the feature which will allow to move source objects (sphere, disk and so on) using the mouse (like it happens with Point Source and Line Source for StreamTracer).
    Yes I know, we can move source object through the properties Translate, but sometimes it's better to move source objects with a mouse and only adjust object position with Translate properites

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add boolean operations...

I see that it's been requested for quite a while! It'd be marvelous if you could just obtain the difference, union or intersection of two shapes with a click of a button... Just saying....

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. A conversion reader for .odb format file generated by Abaqus/CFD

A conversion reader for Abaqus/CFD files would enable us to postprocess fluid dynamics problems in Paraview

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Support relative frequency in histogram plots

Would it be possible to plot the relative frequency of the histogram data as well as the bin count data? Thanks!

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Capability to read/write MRC files

MRC is a file format for imaging data in 3D electron microscopy, where the result of the technique is a three-dimensional grid of voxels each with a value corresponding to scattering potential. It was developed by the MRC (Medical Research Council) Laboratory of Molecular Biology. This file format is supported by many software suites for molecular biology that support volumetric data, such as IMOD and Chimera. The file format is described in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MRC_(file_format), see also http://www2.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/image2000.html and http://bio3d.colorado.edu/imod/doc/mrc_format.txt.

There is an ITK module that contains classes for reading and writing image files in the MRC file format, see …

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base