General

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Fix the MAC dmg creation process

In an attempt to deploy the ParaView DMG using Munki, I ran into the issue that the DMG is storing paraview.app with 700 permissions. This causes the installation via Munki to fail.

As a workaround, I converted the DMG to read-write, mounted it, ran:

chmod -R go+rX paraview.app
    mv paraview.app ParaView.app

I also had to add the version information to the CFBundleShortVersionString variable inside of the Info.plist.

I then converted it back to a read-only DMG. This then allows the installation via Munki to complete successfully.

I would like to eventually automate downloading updates of your DMG through Autopkg, but…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add/Delete Contour label/Lines

Please provide option to add/delete contour lines and to add/delete contour labels (maybe using buttons)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add GIF Animation Output Option

It would be great if Paraview could directly output animations to the GIF format.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Create a conda binary distribution

This will make easy to install paraview in any platform with a single command line:

$conda install paraview

See Building packages at Conda documentation.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add PYTHONPATH for Tools/Python shell in Edit/Settings

Paraview python shell is difficult to use with Anaconda distributions in Linux. The shell don't see the PYTHONPATH to Anaconda or other secondary python distributions not in /usr/lib... That makes difficult to use external python modules

$ export PYTHONPATH = /mypath works with pvpython but not in the python shell in Tools/Python shell

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Add better NASTRAN support

Add better NASTRAN support for bulk file input

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. 22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Create the ability to change the type of line (e.g. dashed for negative) when creating contour lines

I'm trying to create contour plots for fields that range from negative to positive values, but I'm unable to easily change the negative one to dashed lines so they can easily be identified.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Be able to use datetime object in python annotation filter

In the python annotation filter, the time dimension is available from following variables: 't_steps', 'time_steps', 'time_range', 't_index', 'time_value', 't_value', 'time_index', 'input', 't_range'

It would be convenient to have datetime objects to be able to convert it as strings representing the time under the control of an explicit format string , ie strftime(format) method

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Oculus Rift support in ParaView

At this moment we really struggle to get ParaView made visualizations into Oculus Rift environment. We are testing export of the scene with Unity 3D and Unreal engine and it is a lot of work to replicate the scene. Not mentioning that exported scene is static, have no options for turning layers/objects on/off and all the interactions/tools. When ParaView already has 3D --stereo mode dupport allowing a lot of --stereo-type like "Checkerboard" etc. It would be great to have "Oculus" as option there.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Linearly interpolate camera locations

Whenever I animate using interpolate camera locations, I have to fight with Paraview on the interpolated positions. I'm always left to guess where it thinks the camera should be going between keyframes, and have to correct for its constant overshooting, and struggle to bring it back to a reasonable location between keyframes, instead of some weird fitted spline. After fighting with it for way too long, adding way too many keyframes, I usually then just give up and split the animation into multiple videos with two keyframes each, then merge them in another 3rd party software.

It would be great…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Include Sets for OpenFOAM cases

paraFoam (the OpenFOAM extension to Paraview) has a function to 'Include Sets/Zones' to show mesh sets from snappyHexMesh. Paraview is superb as a standalone tool. However, it lacks this one function.

Currently when using Paraview without the paraFoam module, for example on Windows, I cannot view mesh sets. It would be a greatly appreciated addition.

Thanks!

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. apply median filter to not onl;y the VTI data but other data format (e.g. foam, tecplot)

I am trying to use the median filter to filter my tecplot data to remove the noise. However, I realise the filter only works with the VTI image data instead of other types of data. Hence, I am trying to use Python median_filter in the programmable filter to do the filtering.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Camera Null targets for viewpoint pointing

Camera Null objects (Nulls in general in fact) are non-rendering null points that allows you to do things such as target a camera viewpoint to it. Thus you can easily move the camera along a path you want but always have it looking where ever the Null is sitting. The null point itself shoould also be animatable.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Adding Custom Designed Symbols/Glyphs

Hey, I am a graduate student and I have been working on a FEM Soil-Structure Interaction Software. I am planning to use ParaView as the post-processing software.
    The problem is that I need to show the boundary conditions and am finding it difficult to visualize it. The glyph is nice, but we cannot use it as we need some different glyphs/symbols, so that i can use it to represent my boundary conditions at certain nodes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Support for a spherocylindrical particle (capsule shape)

Context: Lagrangian simulations of capsules. (DPM)

Lets say we have data for the orientation vector, position vector, length of shaft and the radius of a spherocylinder for each timestep. Then it should be possible to visualize this particle behaviour with time in Paraview.

DPM modelling for non-spherical particles is the next upcoming field and currently no visualization package supports non-spherical particles. If this feature is released for Paraview, I am sure the user base will grow manifold.

Thanks and regards,
    Vinay

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Enable wrapped colorspace interpolation of scalars before mapping of surface

It would be great to be able to interpolate the scalars on a wrapped colorspace before mapping them. This would be very useful to obtain nice representations of cyclical phenomenae.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Automatic range label format for the legend

The legend offers an "automatic label format", but not an "automatic range label format", leading to weird situations like scientific notation for the range extremes, and integer notation for the labels, when displaying e.g. an int or a bool data type.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Add interpolator type (cell locator) to stream tracer with custom source

Stream lines often break with point locator (default) of stream tracer with unstructured vtu data. One solution is to choose cell locator instead of point locator. But "stream tracer with custom source", which includes all flexibility to choose source points, does not have these options to choose.

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base