Skip to content

General

If you would like to make new feature requests, please visit https://discourse.paraview.org/c/feature-requests/ ...

General

Categories

92 results found

1. Since virtually all computers have at least 2, rather 4 or even more cores, it would be great to be able to utilize them.

For now, I haven't found a way to to postprocess OpenFOAM data or StarCD data in parallel on one machine and gain a speed-up. (infact, setup via "mpirun -np2 pvserver" decreased performance to 0.5x). I have read that the "not-legacy" VTK reader is parallel, so could there be at least a converter from old-VTK to new VTK? (if the reader is the problem)

25 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Admin →
  2. Well, I bet the following is able to be done in the "Find Data" dialog, but I was not able to figure out how by considering the documentation.

I'd like to apply a "Find Data" Query to components of a vector-valued quantity. For example:
    a) The velocity has an X, Y, Z-component. I 'd like to get all Points where Velocity.X > 1.5, independent of the Y or Z-component.
    b) I'd like to get all points with X-coordinate = 1.5. I tried queries like "coordsX==1.5", "Points[0]=1.5", "Points.X=1.5", "Points[X]=1.5" and some more -- no chance.

It would be great if this…

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. There are some of us who live in areas without high speed internet. The main Paraview source tarball is an estimated 3 hour download, and I don't trust a web browser to do that correctly. Being able to resume downloads is important too. Simple direct text links will work fine.

2 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. I am amazed by the long streamtrace created by ParaView,which can NOT be done with others.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Can we call paraview from the command line i.e. calling paraview without opninig GUI ? it may be implemented before, however I cant find it

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Admin →
  6. Data format documentation is available through ONE document only, the slighlty outdated article "File Formats for VTK Version 4.2". I spent money on the paraview guide, but also nothing there. Paraview is a great program, but the documentation situation is absurd! Please help!!

121 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  5 comments  ·  Admin →
  7. As found in http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/paraview/2007-October/006115.html,
    when saving a state file (*.pvsm), it should be possible to have relative path files (with independancy of the directoty syntax / or \ relative to unix or windows platforms)

151 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Since v3.10 the precompiled binaries include MPI implementation to run ParaView in parallel, extremely handy!

My understanding is that such ParaView installation uses all cores it sees, desirable for one user workstations but problematic for many user systems.

Please consider adding a flag to the precompiled binaries for launching ParaView in "use only X CPU's" -mode.

1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. In some modeling software, when you are in transform mode (ie the transform filter) you can select a particular axis to translate/rotate about by pressing 'x', 'y', or 'z' before performing the operation. It is very hard to position an object in 3d without that ability. Maybe by clicking the "balls" at the end of the transform axes with different buttons you could specify that functionality.

http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=9036

28 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Sometime after extensive calculations you end up with several point/cell data arrays that are useless and just take memory like IDs, Region ID etc It would be nice to be able to rename/delete these from the current dataset and spare memory

14 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Add the ability to add time varying annotation based on functions or filter output. Not just the animation time. (i.e. the max value of a contour or surface.) Or even support to modify animation time display so it shows in an hh:mm:ss format.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. I am new to all this but I do need ParaView for my dissertation. It is a nice useful program. I was wondering when OSX Lion come out, will ParaView be compatible? If not, how fast can we get a compatible version?

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add the possibility to plot atomistic structures with a "ball and stick" renderer rather having only the wireframe one.

3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is now supported. Try opening a molecule file e.g. caffeine.pdb in VTKData. Various rendering modes are also available including “Ball and Stick”, “Space Filling” and “Liquorice”.

14. When rendering surfaces, you are only able to set colors in the color map. You should also be able to set the opacity for each control point as you can with volumes. (Bug 6129)

54 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

This is supported in ParaView 3.98.0. The Color Scale Editor dialog adds an option to “Enable Opacity Function” for surfaces. When checked, users can specify the opacity function to use, similar to that specified for volumes.

15. 3 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  16. 1 vote
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. It would be nice if we could create python-only plugins, that would not need any c++ nor cmake code (and no compilation of course...). This is especially important for readers. Those plugins could use the client-side python api and/or the vtkPythonProgrammableFilter for server-side work.

11 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Admin →
  18. It is often useful to check distance between parts of a 3D geometry you are viewing and processing. This could be achieved with a ruler tool That would give not only the distance magnitude between two points, but also x, y and z distances.

27 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Admin →
  19. When I create a contour plot with different values, I want to see each value in a different colour. An example: If I want to plot a range between 0 to 10 with 11 steps, it will plot the values 0, 1, 2, ... 9, 10. I want that each value will be shown in another different colour, not in the same. It is very time consuming to create 11 different contour plots, for this. I think the effort to add this feature shouldn't be too high.

5 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. 0 votes
    Vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)