General

1. Add short key (alt+A) for Edit>Delete &All menu item

Pressing the alt key causes the menu items show an underline under their short key letters (if any). Although this is a frequently used item, Delete All menu item does not have a short key. Adding this will be helpful.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Facebook Google
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. holes in cell node numbering result in 3.12 crashing without further notice

During legacy vtk unstructured grid import, if node numbers have holes like 0,1,2,4,5,... as common in finite element result files, version 3.12 crashes without giving any hint of what went wrong.
    Please either do indicate that there is a problem with the node numbering or just fix the wrong numbering in paraview, by renumbering the nodes.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Export to COLLADA or similar 3d format, for high quality rendering

While it is posible to export .x3d and . vrml in Paraview, it is only for static scenes. There should be an posibility for exporting time varianse geometry to open 3d animation formats.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Support for Magic Trackpad

I would like to use the Magic Trackpad with Mac OS X to rotate and manipulate the 3D objects.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Add the ability to use different fonts

Adding latex functionality would also be great, but impractical for some purposes. There are 3 fonts, serif, sans and mono. I am using Ubuntu 10.04 on this computer, and it gives me the options of arial, times and courier, the free ms fonts. The fonts, however, are not arial times and courier. I think they are some of the fonts from my distribution. I installed the ttf-mscorefonts package which installs arial, times etc. from the repositories, but the fonts remain the same.
    I personally would like to choose my own font like Freesans or Nimbus, which both are Helvetica clones.…

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Modify the transform filter to allow single-axis-at-a-time transformations

In some modeling software, when you are in transform mode (ie the transform filter) you can select a particular axis to translate/rotate about by pressing 'x', 'y', or 'z' before performing the operation. It is very hard to position an object in 3d without that ability. Maybe by clicking the "balls" at the end of the transform axes with different buttons you could specify that functionality.

http://public.kitware.com/Bug/view.php?id=9036

28 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. left-handed orientation of XYZ axis

Add ability to switch from right-handed orientation of XYZ axis to left-handed one

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Add a low-pass buttworth filter, FFT and inverse FFT filter for tabular datasets

If your trying to get acceleration from any explicit FEA a small amount of filtering to the data must be done. Ideally, I would like to run an FFT, truncate the signal to only include low frequency content then run an inverse FFT. I would also like a butterworth low-pass (high order 16-10) filter in order to have a comparison of each method. I believe this is all available for images but not tabular data.

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. buid a filter able to selectively rename/delete arrays from a dataset

Sometime after extensive calculations you end up with several point/cell data arrays that are useless and just take memory like IDs, Region ID etc It would be nice to be able to rename/delete these from the current dataset and spare memory

14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Add scroll bar to the 'Fix Paths in State File' GUI

Add scroll bar to the 'Fix Paths in State File' GUI so that the GUI does not extend beyond the edge of your monitor making it impossible to fix the path names associated with a session for the files that are forced outside of the extents of the monitor.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Correct wireframe for quadratic elements in multi-core mode

Wireframe (or surface with wireframe) representation does not work with quadratic elements when in multi-core mode. The cause is that quadratic wireframe is not supported when geometry is shipped from server to client (which is implicitly the case for multi-core mode). See bug 10676, the bug that originally implemented correct quadratic wireframes, for more details on this unimplemented case.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. 14 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. boolean operations

add boolean operations between several meshes. Not only append, but really intersection, union, difference.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Add a time range selection on filters input, in particular, for the temporal statistics filter

A lot of simulations have a transient period, interesting but not relevant for statistics. In addition, it could be useful to not "download" these data: a kind of new time origin.

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Add setting to change your default volume fraction for imported volume arrays.

When importing spcth databases from CTH into paraview, the "Extract CTH Parts" filter is used to extract each material. The default volume fraction is set to 0.1, but I generally need mine to be at 0.5. It would be great to have an option to manually set the default volume fraction so that that step of adjusting the volume fraction for each material could be eliminated for most cases.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Add to the calc'r filter a running min/max function

In a transient calculation it can be informative to see the maximum (minimum) value at a point (cell) up to the present time.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Table to X filters should support 2D data

The table to points and tabled to structured data require separate columns for x, y, and z coordinates. However, sometimes you are only representing 2D data (or even perhaps 1D data). It should be possible set any of the X, Y, Z Columns to something like "None" so that that coordinate is just filled with 0's.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Screenshot in fullscreen mode

I'd like to do a screenshot in fullscreen. At the moment, this is a bit tedious: I have to use two screens. On the 2nd monitor, a Phyton shell can be opened, and while displaying the picture on the 1st monitor, I can enter the "WriteImage" command in the Phyton shell.

Ok, that works, but I think, there must be a simpler solution. What about connecting the screenshot menu item with a keyboard shortcut, so it can be activated any time?

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. being able to save selection.

it would be extremely useful to being able to save a selection, either in a separate file or in the current state. also the order of the selection should remain the same.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

General

Feedback and Knowledge Base