I suggest you ...

Add vector graphics output (i.e. postscript)

Users have wanted this for at least 5 years (see http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2004-September/000836.html), and it was never done. There is a user-made patch by Christian Becker that has been in Mantis for two years (see http://public.kitware.com/Bug/bug_view_page.php?bug_id=2887).

256 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David LonieDavid Lonie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Miguel, can you give an example of ParaView pipeline that demonstrates these issues, preferably using builtin sources and filters?

I've not seen the empty file issue, but the missing color problem sounds like a known issue -- GL2PS (the backend used to export these files) cannot handle texture-mapped surfaces, as OpenGL does not specify texture information in the feedback buffer. Such surfaces require the 3D geometry to be rasterized to get the correct colors in the output. I can look into adding a warning to the export configuration dialog when 3D rasterization is disabled.

• Miguel de Benito DelgadoMiguel de Benito Delgado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, thanks for the feature! Problems so far (with 4.0.1 Mac "Lion - Python27" binary):

* Export of a 3D mesh as an EPS/SVG without background and no rasterization results in an empty file.
        * Export of a 3D surface as an EPS/SVG without background and no rasterization loses all coloring.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to display streamlines in a vectorised format (i.e. not having it classified as a 3D object along with other geometries when export to vectorised graphics format) would be nice too.

• BahmanAbBahmanAb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like Bill says:

1) Mesh lines and surfaces
        2) Contour lines
        3) Glyphs
        4) Annotations
        5) 2D Graphs & Plots

• JoséJosé commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like Bill says:

2) Contour lines
        3) Glyphs
        4) Annotations
        5) 2D Graphs & Plots

• Bill LuterBill Luter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

2) Contour lines
        3) Glyphs
        4) Annotations
        5) 2D Graphs & Plots

• MagicianMagician commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Sources' Mesh Line and Flat-Shaded Surfaces, Glyphs, Contour Lines, Annotation items. I just mean GL2PS as a general function.

• MohamadMohamad commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would go with the most "straightforward" ones, first,
        Having 2D charts in either svg or eps format would be very nice. No need to generate the plots in other vector graphics softwares.
        Also, 2D color contours as I use them a lot.
        I am not sure how is it with 3D isosurfaces, I know it is not straightforward.

• Ricardo ReisRicardo Reis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also got for svg, it can be easily converted to other formats with inkscape, for instance.

• stephenstephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Charts and graphs would be a great first objective. Embedded images as a second objective would be great - presumably with the labelling as vector objects... I agree with Bill's suggestion.

• Bill LuterBill Luter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The post-processing industry usually supports two output at a minimum - PDF and sometimes postscript (or EPS). I would also vote for SVG.

As for supported types, I would like to see all charts and graphs supported directly as vector, but surface plots etc as a start could be supported using an embedded image.

Isn't Paraview developed using Qt? If so, it has SVG output supported directly.

• berk.geveciAdminberk.geveci (Admin, paraview) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No one answered my question about the types of plots that they'd like to see vector output for. Unless the request is scoped down, my comment stands. If we can scope it down to something reasonable like charts and 3D lines, we will consider it. It is not going to happen for general 3D surfaces and volumes.

• stephenstephen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure if Berk's comment above is up to date - surely if this is a lot of work it could be addressed in a staged manner. First start with 2D plots, then 3D etc etc... if the jury is still out i'd like to vote for vector plot capabilities for Paraview. Paraview is a great tool. Its raison d'etre is to communicate, if the pictures look poor - the message is much harder to pass. Without this capability i may have to reconsider my company's use of Paraview.

• praveenpraveen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Its a pity that paraview does not support vector graphics. Guess I have to shell out more money to renew my tecplot license. Bitmap is simply useless for publications or even for making presentations.

• exfizikexfizik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's just sad that paraview doesn't (and won't) have a vector/postscript output. Looks like I'll have to invest some time in learning mayavi2 to get nice pictures for publications.

• berk.geveciAdminberk.geveci (Admin, paraview) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can you give me some examples of the types of plots you'd like to see as vector graphics? For surface plots that are flood filled or volume rendering, vector graphics would not make a lot of difference. Mesh (wireframe) plots? Charts? Iso-lines?

Feedback and Knowledge Base